Saturday, February 28, 2009

The slums

Last night we went to see Slumdog millionaire. It was one of the most intense movies that I have seen. It was not a "bang bang, shoot'em up" intensity, but rather a gut wrenching movie. The movie was about this guy, Jamal and his brother Salim. Jamal randomly won a chance to be on "who wants to be a millionaire". The show and authorities thinks that he's cheating and he tells his story which has given him all the answers to the show.

The film was shot in India with Indian characters, the kid actors really are from the slums. After the movie, we were talking about it on the way home and one of the responses was, "it was disgusting how they lived!". At first I was annoyed by that remark and how naive it seemed. How could they say that, that is really how the other half live! After thinking about it for over 18 hours now, I have realized it is disgusting and it breaks my heart. It breaks my heart that for the first time, there was not "Hollywood" put in a movie, that it filmed reality and the world is seeing it maybe for the first time! It made me sad that I was offended by that comment for it sounding so stuck up and unemotional. Maybe I do need to be disgusted by it so that it was break my heart, that there needs to be light there. Orphans there are the dogs, they are unwanted and in the way. The beg and are dirty. They are mistreated, there is no one there to stick up for them to make sure that what goes on behind doors is ethical and humane.
There are the cuties from the movie:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...