Thursday, September 18, 2008

expectations~

Before I got married, I got tons of advice...
1.  Have thick skin.
2.  Emotionally invest and be there when things are happening.
3.  Compromise.
4.  Have fun.
5.  Communicate.
6.  Don't tell each others secrets.
7.  Praise in public, critic in private.

So over the last month, yes it's been a month already, I have learned a lot.  I have been stretched beyond what I thought was possible.  I shared a room and closet with my sister for a good 2 years in high school... surely sharing a bed and closet would be just as easy... WRONG!!  Married life is a blast, you get a permanent best friend, someone to laugh with and cut up with, someone who will laugh and cry with you, someone to fight with you when you are grouchy, someone to hold you accountable to not buy that fabulous pair of shoes so that you can eat for the next month.  They have your back when you are unsure of what is going on.  Where you lack, they are there to pick up those pieces.... yes, it has only been a month, and we have faced all of this.  
We are exhausted.  The money is tight, we don't know where we are going to live.... and yet, every step that we have taken so far, the Lord has met us where we are... completely broken (and broke) and guided us.  I know that we are going to make mistakes, we will fall on our faces at one point... but life has been good.  
We have more family and friends that have been there for us.  They have helped us though the good and the bad.  They have provided shelter to us, they have fed us, they have wiped our tears and laid hands on us to bless us.  They have made us laugh when we thought the tears would not stop.  My prayer every night is that everyone has family and friends like that.  That in the darkest moments, they have a Lord that will provide hope and a circle of community around them that will hold them up.

1 comment:

Emily Fox said...

awwww I love you! i just cried a little bit reading that... I guess I do have a soul after all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...