Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Brithday sweet girl!

Many friends have asked about how the birth went, what happened- they want all the details.  I feel as though it's like when you go on a mission trip and people say they want to hear all about it... but they really just want the highlights.  They tell us during the debriefing from the trip, they tell you to have a one liner, two minute and fifteen minute answer... I feel like I have to say the same thing with the birth of my sweet girl!

So here is the whole story (for all you who are curious, but mostly for me to remember that sweet day that is only becoming further and further away!).

So here is the warning:  If you don't like blood and guts, move on! 

Giving birth is the most beautifully messy this that we do!  On Tuesday we were suppose to get to the hospital but we were running late.  We get there and the lady in the ER that was signing us in (admin had left for the day) and she said that we needed to talk to the head nurse but that she was in the delivery room.  As we sat there, I realized that i had a message and a missed call from the hospital.  It was her asking if we could come in at 7pm instead because they had more people come in than they had planned.  So, off to McAlisters for dinner.  Please note that is where I grabbed lunch the day of my wedding, I love that these two huge events were kicked off with McAlisters. 
We went back and got checked in.  Michelle greeted us in the room and told us that she would be our nurse for the evening.  She got us all set up and asked about 1 million questions about both Frank's and my family medical history (thank goodness that we are all healthy people!!).  This man Dr. came in and inserted a cervadil.  It hurt so bad and frank about hit him for not being gentle.  Michelle gave my a huge sleeping pill and we said goodnight.  The next morning, I took a shower, got all ready and started having contractions.  They set me up with the petosin and around 10am they gave me an epidural.  I was making great progress and made it through the day with lots of friends and family to make me laugh.  Popsicles were a life saver!  I stopped dialating around 8pm.  I could not get past the hump.  After talking to Michelle and telling her that a c-section was not an option (like I had a choice!).  She told me that she would talk to my Dr. and she would see what she could do.  They stopped the petosin for about 30 minutes and then started again.  I just couldn't relax.  Michelle kicked everyone out of the room, turning the lights off and got me to sleep for a little bit.   At this point, it's around 10:30-11pm.  After moving me to different positions to get the dialing going again, I finally made it to 9.5cm.  Dr. Gregory said that I was ready to start pushing.  They got me all hooked up with more epidural and started getting to business.  I pushed through 5 contractions.  About 3 to 4 sets of counting to 10 each and she was out.  When her head was out, frank looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "she looks just like you".  One more push and she was out and on top of me.  I could not believe it!  Annabelle started crying, it was the most pathetic "wah wah wah" cry.  Frank went over as the sweet nursery cleaned her up.  It was amazing to see him taking pictures of the miracle and watching the nurses every move. 
When Annabelle came out, the was the most amazing feeling ever.  The pressure that was released was incredible.  Then when the placenta came out, it was the same way.  The most amazing miracle was that when they pulled the placenta came out, they were looking at the cord, there was about a inch stretch that was spaghetti noodle thin.  I asked Dr. Gregory what could have happened, then said I didn't want to know if it had torn or severed.  She told me that I didn't want to know!
Dr. Gregory worked so hard to get me all stitched up and set to go.  The family came in to see us after I got all cleaned up and everyone cried, it was such a sweet moment.  Finally after 20 hours of being awake and having a babe, Michelle gave me a big sleeping pill and we went to bed around 4am. 

Some of the highlights of the evening:
*When Annabelle came out, it was such a release of pressure.  I told the Dr. "I feel so empty."  Frank's response, as he was holding his new baby girl, "I don't."  I'll never forget that moment, or the fact that Dr. Gregory and Michelle and I teared up as we all looked at each other.
*How sweet Frank was during the whole day.  He changed things, touch things, move things, moved me and took total care of me and really helped Michelle out.  I could not be more blessed to spend the rest of my life with this man!

So this is our story.  It was a a ride that I will never forget.  We are so thankful that our sweet Annabelle made it out safely and healthy! 
Happy Birthday sweet Annabelle!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Franks comment about not feeling empty. That is the simplest but most perfect description ever!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...