Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Change, the good kind

Change.  I don't do it well.  I've blogged about it before.  This change, however, is exciting change.  It's new, it's healthy change, it's bettering my family change.  I'm excited about this one.

This journey to organic eating started a while ago.  If fact it started my senior year in high school where we had to do this huge project, it was to prepare us for college... my thoughts, if you don't know how to do it by now, you aren't going to learn now, right?  I did my project of how media effects women and girls both mentally and physically.  I came across this article about how girls are started their periods and hitting puberty way to early, some as young as 6!!  I vowed to start cleaning up the way I eat.  But life happened, it's expensive and it was still new information that people were not aware of.

Fast forward 7 years, I wanted some yogurt, something that I could never eat before.  I could when I was little, but NEVER as an adult (you can read about that here) and my discovery was sickening!  I told Frank about it and showed him my discoveries and we vowed to make the diary change... we now enjoy cheese and crackers at our little Robertson happy hour.

Fast forward another 2 years and we are sitting on our couch watching "Food, inc.".  If you have not seen it, do it and do it now!  We said we would make changes and we tried, it's just really hard on a tight budget, so I thought at least.

Another year goes by with ignored conviction and we are in Texas enjoying some family time and much needed R&R.  Talking to my sister-in-love.  She tells me that my precious niece (who is 9) is started to go through puberty.  I freak out ((quietly of course), so does Frank.  He starts asking her all these questions about their diet , etc.  That night we promised things would be different with our sweet girls.

This weekend, Frank and I got to go on a date night and sweet AB staying with my parents.  While we were there, Frank asked me if I would be embarrassed if he asked where the beef came from.  I said no.  But then I started thinking about it while the server went and got the manager.  And I asked Frank, what is the point of asking this if we don't even care at home?  He said I was right and that we needed to make change started right now, well, after he finished his AMAZING steak from fire birds.  Side note, have you been there??  If not, go now, it's amazing!

This Saturday, AB was still at the parents and Frank was a work, I went to the farmers market on my own to start this honorable way of living.  I'm a dork and asked some of our farmer friends who to go see.  I wrote their farms on my hand to make sure I went to the right people.

I had a blast and spent my money so fast... but I got some good loot!!

This is our dinner plans for this week:

  • Taco's (last night and they were AWESOME)... grass fed, no hormone or antibiotics, YES PLEASE!!
  • Roast in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots with a side of collard greens... all organic!  Emma says, "thank you momma!"
  • Summer salad... Romaine lettuce, strawberries, blueberries, blue cheese, avocado, tomatoes and walnuts :)
  • and of course, LEFT OVERS!!
While all of this is still in the works and we are cleaning up what we eat slowly but surely, I feel like these are changes that we will make permanent in our home.  We are not racing to joint PETA but we are racing to have our girls raised in a home that eats the way that Jesus would have us eat.  We, as a family, refuse to be a statistic in the obesity epidemic here in the US.  We will respect the animals on the land and treat them humanely, to eat the fruits of the land and enjoy the farmers harvest!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...